Monday, November 10, 2008

Why did the duck cross the road? To prove he's no chicken.

The other day, I nearly drove over my neighbor’s chickens. (I should add that they are the only chickens I know of in Mountain View who wander freely along the street where I live. In fact, they are the only chickens I know of in Mountain View.) I swerved, barely missing them, yelling something like “SWEET FUCKING MOSES!” and narrowly avoided heading into oncoming traffic myself. From my rear view mirror, I watched them disappear back towards the sidewalk, wattles shaking vigorously and thought that perhaps the owners needed to rethink their dedication to “free-range”. (Although, yeah about Prop 2!)

While walking home from the farmers market yesterday morning, the chickens were sitting next to the sidewalk, roosting, one might presume. I told Marc to pick one up and see if there was an egg underneath as I hadn’t had breakfast yet and was feeling peckish. He refused. So much for honor and obey.

But a few hours later, after too much time on Wikipedia, I now know more about chickens than I had ever intended - including varying stories of where the chicken crossing the road joke originated. A different version of the same variety made me giggle – and if you don’t find it funny, I really don’t think we can be friends.

Why should not a chicken cross the road?
It would be a fowl proceeding.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

aww, I thought you were going to tell the story about how I was going to take your picture w/ the chickens that one day . . . .