Thursday, November 6, 2008

Who do you deck your halls with?

So, my niece, Holly, turned 25 yesterday. TWENTY FIVE. I am old enough to have a niece that is coming up on thirty, which means I need another drink and to break out the rest home pamphlets.

Even though she is a constant reminder of my swift descent towards middle age, I love having such a hip and gorgeous niece to call my own. If I weren't related to her, I would still totally invite her out for a glass of wine and want to braid her hair and share my lip gloss with her. She is that cool. Plus, how awesome is it that I can embarrass her by saying, truthfully "I USED TO CHANGE HER DIAPERS AND ONCE SHE POO'D ON MY ARM WHILE I WAS HOLDING HER"? You can't put a price on that kind of ammunition.

Love you HollyDolly. Wish you lived closer as I'd give you a big squeeze and break out the Scotch. Drink. Not tape. I'm that kind of aunt.

2 comments:

Ang said...

happiest of birthdays, holly! it was a pleasure to finally get to meet the beloved niece earlier this year.

Anonymous said...

I do the same with my 2 nephews. One is 25 (a marine currently in Afghanistan) and the other is 27 (Helicopter pilot). With their manly occupations, it's good to remind them of the times I used to change their diapers, while ignoring the age implications of such a comment.