Wednesday, May 7, 2008

When you know you're getting older...

I’m deeply suspicious of anyone who doubts the excellence of the show “Gossip Girl.” I awaited its return with a feverish anticipation that I’m sure rivaled most of the teeny boppers who share my enthusiasm for the high school drama. But who doesn’t love the deviousness of Blair’s soul? There isn’t a woman alive who wouldn’t covet Serena’s hair! And Dan Humphrey! Sweet God! I just want to fold him up, put him in my pocket and take him out when I need to look at something pretty. And then there is Nate Archibald – I’m not sure he’s real, folks, because anyone THAT good looking should be put into some sort of glass case so we can just stare at him…and perhaps clone him…

But my true, TRUE love on that show is Matthew Settle who plays Rufus Humphrey, Dan’s father.

And this is how I know that I’m getting old, because I’m no longer lusting after the main characters, the beautiful little 20 year olds masquerading as high schoolers. No, my main focus is on the PARENTS. Or, at least, the one parent. Those little brats can run all over Manhattan, drinking their fancy drinks and wearing horribly misplaced couture…I just want to see Dan’s brooding, sensitive, musician father (and we know how I feel about musicians) lament over his lost love, worry about his daughter and stare at the camera in a way that makes me want to dive in, ruffle his hair and say “Do not worry, Matthew Settle! Jenny will come to her senses and you KNOW you’ll end up with Lily…in the meantime, lets make out on the sofa!”

2 comments:

Ang said...

honey, lucia and i were just discussing how you can be so mature and civilized and still watch this teeny bopper drivel on television. you're an enigma. truly.

Unknown said...

I LOVE Gossip Girl! And you are totally right Matthew Settle is SO hot!