Thursday, April 17, 2008

Yes, they're fake...

I've had an unprecedented day today...I've had four different people in completely unrelated incidents ask me if my hair is in fact, natural. Being a white blond, I get this question on the average of twice a week, and after 32 years of such an inquiry, have run out of clever responses.

The last instance, was however, different from most. I was teaching pilates to a male client and I noticed him starting at my face at regular intervals. It wasn't a "you're a stunning beauty!" look, but more consistent with "she has spinach in her teeth and I'm not sure how to tell her."

Feeling both annoyed and bold (I got a REALLY good nights sleep) I said,

"Dude, what's up with the staring?"

"Um....well, I don't know how to say this, but is your hair real?"

Sigh..."As far as I know, yes. 20 more bicep curls, please."

He was not to be daunted now that I had opened the door..."Well, if your hair is really that blond, then are your eyebrows and eyelashes the fake part?"

No one had ever been this pointed, so I have to give him credit..."Yes, I have to draw in my eyebrows and eyelashes every morning. Pain in the ass, but otherwise, I'd look like Powder, except without the boy parts or baldness."

"Who?"

Observe:



And thanks to Katie who gave me that nickname junior year of college - amazing what floats into memory at 2pm in the afternoon when the integrity of ones eyebrows is being questioned.

No comments: