Friday, April 25, 2008

I like a tidy house...

It would be fair to say that I keep a tidy house. I’m not exactly militant, but I like to keep the dog hair to a minimum and have a pretty good relationship with my vacuum and several cleaning solutions (all biodegradable, of course). This week, however, the house has really taken a back seat to several other projects and it’s been looking grim around here. I think even Kylie is wondering why so much of her hair is floating about.

So after dinner last night, I decided that rather than go to the gym, I’d exert my energy by chasing out the dust and scrubbing the toilets. I mean, who DOESN’T want to do that after a long day?

On went the iPod and I got to work. When I’m cleaning, and by myself, I like to sing. And, as it’s been noted before, I am not going to be signed to a record label anytime soon. I can hold a note, but it descends pretty quickly into something that sounds like a dying cow in a hailstorm. No joke. But if I’m solo, I really don’t care. I’m freaking Pavorotti (God rest his soul) in my own mind.

So I opened the windows and was happily hollering away, (to “Taking the Long Way” by the Dixie Chicks, which is one of the best sing-a-long songs EVER) putting the house to rights. I was spending a lot of time in my bedroom, folding laundry and dusting, the evening breeze floating through the window and freshening up the house nicely. I had, at this point, listened to “Taking the Long Way” about four times, because, you know, I had to work on HARMONIZING and that shit takes PRACTICE.

Laundry folded, I grabbed my cleaner and headed towards the window, which was still bearing the marks of a recent rain. Reaching the sill, I was working on my fifth attempt of the song “MY FRIENDS FROM HIGH SCHHHHOOOOOOOOLLLLLLLLL, MARRIED THEIR HIGH SCHOOL BOOOOOOOYYYYY FRRRIIIIIIIIIIEEEEENNNNDS…” not quite happy with my rendition, I reached down to back up the song on my iPod. As I was doing so, I noticed something out of my peripheral vision and looked up to lock eyes with three guys who were standing on the sidewalk looking up at my window. Rooted to the spot, I didn’t know what to do and just stood there, mouth agape.

One of the guys, clearly laughing, called up “Um, so that WAS you singing, right? We’ve been listening for a while…you’re enthusiastic!”

Mortified, and unable to think of anything witty, I moronically nodded my head, stripping the iPod earphones out. Like that was going to help, since clearly, the jig was up.

One of the other guys added in “Well, I wouldn’t quit your day job, but thanks for about the funniest 10 minutes of my day!”

Regaining my composure, I yelled down “Well, you’re welcome. Which part did you like the best?”

To which he replied “I personally thought your third run through was your best – you missed less of your high notes. You flying by the window playing the air guitar was also a nice touch.”

Sweet. Let no one say I don’t live to amuse.

No comments: