Friday, October 17, 2008

Wherein I actually have the balls to tell someone how irritating they are

At Peet's, in line, waiting to order my latte. It's early enough that it's still dark out, ergo I'm cranky about being up in the first place. I feel a tap on my shoulder.

Stranger: Excuse me, where do you get your hair colored?
Me: Oh, I don't. It's natural.
Stranger: No, it's not.
Me: Um, yes, it is. I think I would know.
Stranger: It can't be.
Me: Well, it's grown out of my head like this for 32 years, so I think I have you there.
Stranger: I don't believe you.
Me: Allllllll-righty then.

I turned around, thinking the interaction had concluded, but she caught up with me in the pick-up line.

Stranger: I don't know why you would lie about something like coloring your hair.
Me: Why WOULD I lie about something like that? If you'd like, I'll yank out a strand and you can go and have it tested.
Then she made one of those noises that is impossible to type but I can only describe as an irritated fwoosh of air that started deep in her throat and came out as a snort.
Stranger: GOD. Just admit it isn't real!
Me: I would, but it's not the case. You shouldn't insult people before they have their coffee - it's rude.

And with that, my latte came up, I turned to her, made a psh sound and left (I visualized kicking her in the baby hole with a mighty hi-YA!, but I didn't have the energy). As a woman, she should understand...you only debate a strangers hair color credibility BEHIND their backs, not WITH them. Her mama didn't teach her right.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that is rude. You should've kicked her in the va jay jay *and* knocked over beverage. Why didn't you drop trousers right there and show her that your carpet does in fact match the drapes?

Anonymous said...

Jen, Know that I have had this SAME conversation with other (our mothers words) Idiots! I have even had people pull my hair in disbelief thinkiing I was wearing a wig! Wear your hair color with pride my dear sister.

Squiddo said...

Jen, this actually irritated me. Why are you so damn kind? I would have told here to f**K off after she countered the third explanation. By then she had surpassed curious and become rude. OR, even better, find the WORST place you can imagine, and give THOSE details for where to go. Provide the information like you're telling a guarded secret. All you then need to do is sit back, laugh, and imagine the salt and pepper Billy Idol hair. PS...the BI reference is from personal experience i had at the tender age of 17. And yes, I thought it looked cool. Well, sorta.

Squiddo said...

Rod.....no comment;-) Besides, these days doesn't everyone tint/dye (what IS the difference), Trim, Shave or bleach their junk?

Ang said...

marc, no everyone does not.

jen, where on earth is this horrid peet's? it seems as if every trip there is a lesson in patience and fortitude. dear god.