Thursday, October 2, 2008

On Orca

A friend recently pointed out that I tend to live with things that are in an irritating state of disrepair. She was annoyed because one of the windows in my car wouldn't roll down. To which I replied that the other three DID roll down and why was she being so high maintenance? Was that one window THAT IS IN THE BACK SEAT, NOT IN THE FRONT WHERE SHE WAS SITTING really going to make that much of a difference?

She added that, on top of the window not working, I had also been living without air conditioning all summer, the lighter does not, in fact, light (which is a huge bummer when I want that joint on my way home from work...good thing Kylie carries matches), the gas gauge regularly malfunctions and the radio gets spotty reception. My steering wheel sounds like two copulating whales when I turn it with any sort of vigor and the "check engine" light likes to flash at regular intervals. I think it's festive. She was incredulous that I wasn't the least bit fazed by the fact that my car is held together by little more than duct tape and a prayer and wondered aloud if I was lazy or just insane.

I prefer to think that this proves I would be adaptable in any hostile situation. In the meantime, she can just hang her head out of the sunroof if she's too hot. Rather, she could if it worked.

2 comments:

Squiddo said...

Oh Orca, I'll miss you so much when you're finally gone. I recall the nights when the trusty whale was headed North on 280 to a destination unknown. The lights on the dashboard (or overhead) blinking at random intervals, much like the Starship Enterprise. Captain Kirk would be proud at the speed by which her wheels spun without a hint of a squeak.

Ang said...

we've lost power! we've lost power!