Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Florence Observations No. 2

1. Have I mentioned that it's humid here? I think I've sweat enough for 10 people this trip. I mean, you would think there would be an end to it, that I would finally just shrivel up and blow into the Arno, but no. My deodorant has been worked to it's maximum and I've performed some version of a strip tease each day, shedding first this layer of clothing and then that until I've had to throw my pashmina over my shoulders so that I could walk around in just my tank top without my bra showing. It's unseemly, how much a person can perspire. My friends daughter wanted to sit on my lap throughout lunch the other day, which was a sort of sweet hell as I was sure I would get up and look as though I had wet my pants, having sweat right through them. She, in the meantime, seemed oblivious, though I'm sure the heat from my body was contributing to her rosy cheeks. We came home and I melted onto the couch, limbs stretched out, praying for a breeze and hoping I wouldn't burn a hole right through the furniture. Let it be known that I don't do well in humidity. Hence why I will never, EVER live in the Midwest again. That, and their appalling winters, but that is another post altogether.

2. I'm still working on finding out what the monks wear under their robes. I was standing next to one while staring at the David the other day and had nearly gathered up the courage to start chatting with him, as he seemed a friendly sort, but he turned to me first and said "Nice ass, no?" which SO THREW ME OFF that I just sat there, mouth agape. He smiled and walked off...I wanted to run after him, grab him around his ankles and say "THANK YOU FOR GIVING ME MY BEST MUSEUM MEMORY EVER! And what are you wearing under there? Anything?"

3. While I might be irritated over the Italians lack of spatial awareness, I do love their zest for food, drink and life and think we could use more of that back at home. Especially the idea of the siesta! Who DOESN'T miss nap time?! And here, they CLOSE DOWN from 1:30-3:30pm! Forget being a world power. Let’s just be well rested.

No comments: