Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hashbrowns? I'm in!

So, I believe I happened upon the most disgusting of flavor combinations today, completely by accident, mind you. I'm going to blame it on my client, Chris, who was supposed to come back to the gym and run with me...since she didn't, I ended up running for about four miles and finally decided, after my left ass cheek went into a spasm so cruel and so vicious, that it was time to stop and go home.

But first! Lunch! And there is a reason that you are told not to shop when you are hungry. And might I add that you should always, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD ALWAYS, skip the chip aisle!

There are several ways to my heart...sing to me, give me good tequila, a great pair of heels, tell me that I don't have to wear pants. But what you might not know about is my devotion to the potato and every iteration you will find of that beloved starch. Sweet Moses, if ever you are out to dinner with me and I order fries YOU MAY NOT HAVE ANY. They are mine. You will lose fingers if you dare reach over. I especially love Kettle Chips. Their BBQ flavor is to die for, and they! were! on! sale! Two bags for $5!! Which is really like giving away manna, so I bought some. After checking out, I passed by the Starbucks kiosk and thought, "A cappy sounds good!" So I walked out happy with chips and coffee soon to settle in my stomach.

Let it be known that you should never, EVER combine these two items of food. You will have the unsettling feeling that someone has wiped out your mouth with used gym socks. I was at a traffic light, sipping my coffee with the chips staring at me, lovingly, just WISHING to be in my mouth, and I thought, "Oh why not?" and opened the bag to dig in. I nearly retched all over my steering wheel as the flavor of milk collided with BBQ. I quickly washed down the mouthful with MORE coffee - you know, one of those reactions that you have quickly without thinking? - and the coffee almost came out of my nose this time as I choked.

After the initial shock had worn off and I was on the freeway, I decided that if I interspersed sips of coffee with mouthfuls of chips, I would be ok. Because why wait the whole 15 minutes until I got home? Who has the patience for THAT? So I timed it...mouthful by mouthful. And it was a disgustingly exquisite commute. And Supertramps "Give a Little Bit" was playing on the radio, which is one of my favorite songs of all time! The Baby Jesus was clearly smiling down on me!

So consider this a field test by yours truly. I also bought a bag of Salt & Vinegar...I'll even share with you if you bring the beers.

1 comment:

AndyH said...

Salt & Vinegar are my weakness as well as hot crispy fries. Not sure I have ever experienced the combo of espresso and crisps...

You are devoted to potato products? What about my other weakness: vodka??? Specifically: (drumroll here) Pear Vodka on the rocks.