Friday, January 2, 2009

How I rang in the New Year: A tale of woe, rejoicing and sore feet

It started off innocently enough. There was a chicken salad for dinner. And some wine. Civilized amounts.
And then I drove us to San Francisco.
And there was no traffic!
We rejoiced!
And parked easily at our friends!
Things were going our way.
But then the cabs. OH THE CABS.
The one we called said he was downstairs…outside of someone else’s apartment, might I add, since the driveway was vacant.
“NONONO…I be RIGHT THERE,” he screamed into the phone when I called back to tell him that he had the wrong address.
He was not, right there.
So we pondered standing on a street corner and hailing one. Especially since I was wearing tall boots. Tall boots get things done.
Although, apparently that is only true when one is wearing, also, a short skirt.
Which I was not.
We were frustrated.
But! What HO! A bus! And it’s FREE!
So we boarded, and rode for many blocks, squished in with people who were ready to PARTY. There were many short skirts. I could see up some of them from where I sat. They could have procured a cab, I’m sure.
We de-boarded and decided to walk to a promising corner and, again, try our luck.
We had none.
And we walked and walked and walked. The boots turned out to be a poor choice. Also, we were afraid of getting shivved.
And then our friends called and said “Fear NOT! We will come and get you!”
And the angels sang! We rejoiced once more!
And then! Like manna from heaven! A cab appeared! And our friends were spared the trip out into the perilous, raging sea of New Years Eve.
We arrived.
There was wine that needed to be consumed. Because of all of the walking. And the fear of the shiv.
And we all laughed and ate.
And then I put on my stretchy pants, because, after all, if you cannot put on your stretchy pants with your friends, you need new friends.
The Wii was broken out. We thought “Should we move the red wine out of the way? Because the Wii can get fierce and you have white carpet!”
“Don’t be ridiculous! We are all over the age of 30! We have skillz!”
Though apparently, we don’t. There were some spills. But we also found out the awesomeness of Resolve, which apparently CAN remove all stains.
The clock struck 12midnight. There was some kissing. We bid 2008 adieu.
And then we brought out Rock Star.
And apparently I can rock the SHIT out of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
It was very impressive.
And then we were very, very tired. It was 4am.
Some people wanted pancakes, the others wanted sleep.
Sleep won. I rejoiced.
Some of us woke up feeling better than others. Some of us, dare I say, spent most of January 1st in a prone position, but those names shall remain concealed to protect the guilty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Since when were you one to conceal identities to protect the guilty?! Did I stumble upon a new blog site? Is the Lucky Paw under new management?!