Wednesday, December 3, 2008

When it's good to be fake

So it would appear that the holidays are truly upon us, or, as I like to call it, the season wherein we all flirt with poverty to praise the Baby Jesus. I’m constantly asked what I want for Christmas, but since Obama is about to take office and I just bought some sweet new boots, I’m really out of suggestions. How about the Nobel for literature? That would be nice and also easy to wrap.

I struggle annually with whether or not to buy a tree. My parents were anti-tree. They also didn’t let us believe in Santa Claus, so draw whatever conclusions you would like. It might explain my apathy in general towards the season, though I do hold a tender spot in my heart for spiked egg-nog. Shocking, I know.

But back to the tree. I was drinking the cafĂ© au lait that my manservant delivered to the foot of my bed this morning and pondering what to do about Christmas foliage. Being of the eco-sort, I’ve never loved the ritual of bringing in a tree only to watch it slowly die over the course of the month (see above: parents, anti-tree). But on the other hand, I like the idea of making one’s house festive for the season (see: adoration of shiny things). I also LOVE stringing lights. LOVE it. I cannot explain this, as it’s everyone’s least favorite job, but I will gladly come over and do it for you.

Last year, I solved this dilemma by purchasing two small, living trees with the intent of, keeping them alive! And then using them again next year! And they will become our family trees! Alas, I didn’t take into account the fact that I’m unable to keep anything that is supposed to grow, thriving (see: why I do not have children). Seriously. I have killed cactus. Cacti? It’s embarrassing, but also something I have accepted about myself. Unaccountably, I have two plants that my mother gave me that have survived two years of wanton neglect, interspersed by frantic watering when I remember that they are there. Everything flourishes under my mothers care, and I belive the plants live in fear of her coming over and berating them for not living up to her standards. Grow! She says. And things do. She is scary.

This year, I decided to do some research regarding fake trees. YES. FAKE. I know, I know…my house won’t smell like Christmas! And it’s not the same blah blah BLAH. But guess what? I don’t have to water the damn thing or vacuum up dropping needles or eventually deal with hauling it out to the curb where all of the other dead trees end up after New Years. I am a SCROOGE, whatever (see: things I know to be true). Anyhoo, after trotting through several stores yesterday, I found a DARLING one. So cute. It’s a wee bit Charlie Brown’ish, but in a good way, so tonight, I will deck the halls, or at least my living room, and be happy in the knowledge that when New Years comes around, I can just put this puppy in a bag and haul it out next year for round #2 (see: German Efficiency™).

I am a vessel of holiday cheer, ‘tis true.

7 comments:

Squiddo said...

:-|

Anonymous said...

I think it's brilliant!!!

Awesome said...

You're on the mark with this one. My parents always did a living tree, planted it in the front yard, and then we'd watch it struggle and then die. We had a little row of impoverished soldiers for years. Then they went the fake route, and you can't even tell.

Oh by the way, I followed your blog over from Facebook. Love it. Does this make me a Jen stalker?

Robin B.

Jen said...

Robin, if it makes you a stalker, then I am flattered and promise not to take out a restraining order. Unless you start showing up on my doorstep at inappropriate times. Actually, even then I'd just invite you in for drinks.

Squiddo said...

Lord, Borelli is following you now? It's all downhill now;-)

Ang said...

What's your fake tree made out of? Is it plastic? Was it made in China? Not trying to rain on your parade but it's hard. We, too, bought a live tree to use forever and ever. After 3 years, it is hanging on for dear life in our backyard as we frantically search for someone to donate it to. We actually found a sustainably grown tree place so we are going that route this year.

Awesome said...

Hey Marc! If by "downhill from here" you mean coasting at top spead on sparkly rollerskates into Cool Kids Town, then yes. It is all downhill from here.