Tuesday, April 13, 2010

On manners

I've been frustrated. It's not you, I promise. Well, it MIGHT be you. It depends. I don't know what it is but I've noticed an increased amount of horribly bad manners from the general public and it's getting to the point where when I say, "I hate people!" I'm really only sorta kidding. If even a little.

And I'm not talking about table manners, though I'm the first person to say, "SWEET MOSES CHEW WITH YOUR MOUTH CLOSED!" if you're chomping in my vicinity. Or elbows on the table. That I CANNOT abide by. Were you raised by wolves? My Mother actually made my brother and I endure what she called "Manner Meals" when we were little which included what fork to use when you were seated at a table that had a confusing array and what kinds of conversations were proper to have at dinner parties. This was all so that she could relax if we were ever invited to the White House. She didn't want to be associated with offspring who didn't know their soup from their dessert spoon and ate with their fingers. That would be worse than voting Democrat.

But as much as I despise the above, what I've noticed is a general disregard by individuals for the people around them. I would hope that we would all realize that we are not the only people on this planet. That there are those that perhaps need a door held open for them or for you to just move your grocery cart out of the way rather than leaving it in the middle of the aisle while you ponder the olive oil selection. Today I was at CVS and as I paid my bill, my wallet fell out of my hands and my change scattered everywhere. There were two people behind me, neither of whom were infirm or incapable of bending at the waist, and rather than reaching down to help, they just stood there while I scraped around their feet for my escaping quarters. Really? You're not even going to step aside? You're going to actually look down at me while I reach between your legs for my change and give me a hostile glare? After I chased down the last dime I stood up and turned to the person behind me and said "Thanks!" sarcastically. I'm not proud of this, but by the surprised look I received in return, I think I got my point across.

I'm by no means perfect and could often be accused of being off in my own world, but I'd like to think that when I'm out, that I'm aware of those around me and am willing to help should the need arise. My Mom and Dad raised us under the premise that other people's needs were greater than our own - they were not advocating that we allow ourselves to be taken advantage of but rather to be aware of others and to be the kind of people who politely step aside when we're in the way and have enough spatial awareness to anticipate that kind of thing. I can't tell you how often I'm in a store or a restaurant where people are standing in the middle of a traffic area and I have to actually physically touch them and say, "You're in the way" to get them to move to the side despite the obvious fact that I cannot climb over them in a dress and four inch heels. A simple "excuse me" doesn't even seem to work anymore . Perhaps a swift kick in the shins would deliver the message more clearly.

It's made me crotchety, and I don't like that. I've started being more rude to get my point across, having less patience. I used to assume that people weren't trying to be asses, but now I just feel as though I live in an area where people are so largely concentrated on themselves that simple manners and consideration are no longer considered necessary...that everyone should be aware of THEM. Therefore they should be able to leave their cart where it's a pain to get around, not let the pregnant mom with two small children in line first, not offer their seat to an elderly person and not hold open the door for the person behind them because they are too busy texting some other Very Important Person who is probably talking loudly on their cell phone while at a restaurant.

I mean MY GOD. I feel like at 34 I've turned into my parents who are always muttering something about "kids these days." Instead it's PEOPLE these days. They are bringing me down. I realize I'm entering the Freakout Territory From Which It Is Difficult to Exit Gracefully, but seriously, I'd like to know what I could do besides wear a sandwich board that says, GOT MANNERS? all while standing on the busiest corner in Silicon Valley. Because if one more person cuts in front of me in line all while talking into their Bluetooth headset and then brushes me off when I tell them that THE LINE ACTUALLY STARTS HERE, BEHIND ME, I might just lose it and move us all to Iowa. I hear they know how to chew with their mouths closed there. It's a start.

1 comment:

Squiddo said...

First, I take offense that just two night ago you commented on my elbows in a comfortable position on the dining room table. Are you saying that I was raised by Wolves? If so does that makes you a "she-wolf" since they rarely mate outside of their own. Kylie's ears just stood up didn't they:-)

Sorry, only Egyptian cotton table clothes get me to sit up straight. Until then.........

Second, Manner Meals?? Really?? Honestly????? Sweet holy lord how you survived is BEYOND me. Good thing you have me to get you to relax.

Thirdly, I agree with your note on people these days (and especially in this area) being completely OBLIVIOUS!!!! I maintain people today are a rare and unique combination of stupid AND rude. Until they get it, keep pushing, raise your dog/kid right and kick them in the shins. Every now and then...not always.