Thursday, April 15, 2010

A+

Did you know that everyone seems to know their blood type except me? Which is odd as over the years I've been through my fair share of blood letting, and one would think I would have spotted my blood type somewhere in there. I probably was too busy burying my head in a bucket to much care given my hatred of phlebotomists. What drives you towards that profession anyways? Not that I don't appreciate them. I suppose my severe aversion towards watching my own life support drain away into any number of tubes just makes me balk at the idea of doing such a thing on a daily basis. Can't we just go back to leeches?

So two weeks ago I had to go and have some more blood tests done. Knowing my history, Marc came with me to hold my hand. I believe my nail imprints have finally started to fade from his palm and he's getting the feeling back in his forearm, so vigorous was my clenching. But it helped. I started intently at him and he asked all sorts of ridiculous questions to distract me and the clinician was really very nice and it was the first time I've ever not thrown up after such a visit. 10 points for Marc!

Monday, we went to the doctor to get the results of the test and he turned to me and said in his very kind voice, "You have A plus blood! It's really excellent!" Being that I was an overachiever in school and spent much time wearing a frock made out of goat hair and covering myself in ashes if I DIDN'T receive A's on my work, this was stellar news. I turned to Marc and said, "I HAVE THE VALEDICTORIAN OF BLOOD! I ROCK!" This, of course, in front of my very intelligent doctor, who I then turned to after my gloating and asked, "Great! What type am I?" Marc snorted from the corner and my doctor, with a bemused expression on his face said, "You're A POSITIVE, like I just said."

Oh.

Those first glorious two seconds I thought I had the blood of a superhuman and could go forth and resume licking doorknobs and perhaps even put on my resume, "A PLUS BLOOD, BITCHES!" But no.

It's possible I'm taking this harder than I ought to.

2 comments:

Teresa said...

Did you turn so red that the doctor could have re-read your bloodtype through your skin? Hilarious....Weird, my "word verification" for this is flush. Hm.

Squiddo said...

and yet I

still
find
it
funny!