Sunday, November 29, 2009

I'm really a 12 year old girl.

I've been busy this weekend writing fan/fic about my soon to be occurring love affair with Robert Pattinson. This came out of my purchase of the new Vanity Fair, the cover of which he graces and O. MY. GOD. If I wasn't on Team Edward before, I am now. My friend Tina and I were talking about the various bad things we would like to do to him. She pointed out that we were not only competing with, well, most of the female population of the free world in a certain age bracket but were significantly older than most of his fan base. Whatever. I have my leopard print dress and cigarette holder all picked out. Come to mama.

Because lookit:
I mean, right? If I were in junior high, you can bet that photo would be gracing the interior of my locker and perhaps even the inside of my Trapper Keeper next to my algebra notes.

Tina bought all of the books after having seen New Moon last week. They arrived on Wednesday and I believe she tied a salt lick around each of her sons necks so that they wouldn't disturb her for silly things like FOOD and WATER - GOD! - while she dove in. She texted later to inform me that along with the books, Amazon had seen fit to tuck in a full sized poster of R.P. as well. Her husband is often away on business and I told her she ought to install the poster on the ceiling over her bed as a distraction. Because I'm brilliant. And am looking out for her needs.

Did everyone get through Thanksgiving in one piece? I did! I didn't even have to employ the Official Eating Pants, so ironclad was my resolve not to overeat this year. Normally, we all end the meal by clawing at our throats and lurching into the living room, hoping to find a flat surface on which to lie down and stretch out our stomachs. This year we all somehow contained ourselves, perhaps because we had extra guests and didn't want them to forever associate us with gluttony. Normally, I loudly proclaim my thankfulness for the elastic waistband, but my jeans didn't have to work very hard to stay shut and I didn't have the normal nightmares brought on by indigestion. Moderation for the win!

So I hope everyone is sliding easily into the holidays. I went with my family this evening to the Festival of Lights which is a parade in held annually in downtown Los Altos to ring in the Christmas Season. I hadn't done this in years and was cracking up with my sister as the floats went by - many of them were the same ones that we waved at as they drove down Main Street in our youth only a wee bit worse for wear. But, there is something nice about that kind of continuity. I don't easily embrace change and love tradition and so it was fun to be there with my nieces and nephew, watching my high school marching band go by and seeing Frosty the Snowman drive his float somewhat erratically down the street - I think he'd hit the bottle first.

Regardless, here's to a happy December to everyone, no matter what or how you celebrate. I, for one, will be pulling out my fake trees and Christmas music this week in order to get into the holiday spirit. It takes some doing for me since I'm notoriously anti-Yuletide, but this year! I'm going to be cheerful! Dammit! Perhaps I need a poster of R.P. above my bed to get me in the mood...

No comments: