Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Healing balm

So there are many things that I enjoy about my life, but what I love the most is being an aunt. My first niece, Holly, was born when I was only just about to turn seven and I’m closer to her and my second niece, Heidi, in age than I am to either of my sisters. For this reason, the whole familial package just sort of blends into one large group of people who are related. However, I’ve changed the diapers of anyone younger than my brother (and there's seven people who fall into that category), an activity that none of my nieces and nephews can claim. Yet. Turnabout is fair play, people, and those Depends have to get on one way or the other.

Anyhoo, we’d all been rather baby deprived up until three-and-a-half years ago when Nicholas came into our lives. He’s my sister Steph’s son. I don’t get to see him anywhere near often enough, and when I do, he’s been more interested in what he can Climb or Take Apart to really pay much attention to That Blond Lady Who Is Always Trying to Kiss Me Stop It PLEASE. I’ve persisted, however, because I HAVE changed his diapers and dammit, you’re going to hug me because I’ve dealt with your poo.

Sunday, I scootched down in the blistering heat to Steph and Tim’s house to enjoy an afternoon with the family. As I’ve mentioned before, the AC is out in my car, so I wilted into the house in a state of extreme dampness considering the temperature was well over 100 and DEAR GOD no one needed to hug me since I was clearly practicing for menopause. Everyone gave me wide berth as I stood in the foyer, a puddle spreading out from around my feet. Nicholas, however, had no such compunction about showing affection and hurled himself around my legs, where he proceeded to slide down to my ankles since he couldn’t get a grip on my skin. But he latched onto me furiously and didn’t let go for the entire afternoon.

If there is anything that will soothe a black mood better than an affectionate child, I don’t know what it is. At some point that weekend, I had cracked through his reality, and he was not going to let me out of his sight. This small person, my little nephew, completely erased the cesspool of negativity that I had been swimming in since Saturday morning. He drew me pictures, he insisted that I sit next to him at all times, he cuddled with me on the couch while we watched The Incredibles. Best of all, though, he came outside with a popsicle for me and insisted that we go and sit up in his tree house together. A date, if you will. And if you have not had such an experience in your life, then I pity you. Even in the withering heat as I sweat through my clothes, there was nothing better about Sunday than that moment, with Nicholas pointing to Kylie explaining, “She’s POOPING Auntie Jen! Then she will go peeps. Popsicle is COLD! Look! Spider! It’s HOT!” I find these kinds of conversations completely enlightening as most of my days are spent speeding through a packed schedule. To take the time to sit - even if my skirt needed to be wrung out - and notice the things that capture the sights of a three year old, well, you’d be astonished as to what you’ll notice.

And on that day, I sorely needed that. Not only the chubby arms around my neck, but for someone to say to me, look! the leaves are green! I pee’d in the potty! let’s spray the dogs with water just for the fun of it! And so we did…and my head felt remarkably healed. It was a good way to start the week.

2 comments:

Steph. said...

Thank you for loving this little three year old, sticky finger, hurling himself at you little boy. I needed that! By the way he is STILL talking about how you climbed his tree house and, "sit wiff me Auntie Jenn-ifur"

Simon said...

Oh you sooo need one of your own! Whether that will be to clear you of the (probably accurate) rose tinted spectacle view of your nephews/nieces or to satisfy your craving for those wonderfully funny conversations....either way...you need one of your own.