Monday, February 1, 2010

And while I hate Costco, technology hates me

So there was this moment last week wherein I realized that I hadn't written in a while. And so I sat down to do so and had a few funny stories going. I just needed to import them from Word and then push that handy little "PUBLISH" button. But then this little thing kept flashing on my Mac dashboard...something about computer updates and I was all, "Oh, I should probably do that!" since once, I hadn't updated in, like, MONTHS, and Marc was using my computer and was all, "WHY IS THIS THING SO SLOW?" and I was all, "I don't know...because it's TIRED?" And then he checked and realized that the software was SIX MONTHS OLD which we all know means that I might as well be etching my posts on stone tablets. And I was all, "What? I like marble!" and he shook his head in disbelief that his wife, who grew up in Silicon Valley could be so horribly inept at computer maintenance and then my eyes glazed over and I went and made a cup of tea and he solved the problem and I yelled, "YOU MEAN I CAN RUN SEVERAL APPLICATIONS AT A TIME WITHOUT THE SPINNING WHEEL OF DEATH APPEARING?"

And then he fell over and died. Of frustration and defeat. It was sad. But my tea was good.

SO! Having learned the hard way, I went to update my software, not really paying attention to what I was doing because Jersey Shore was playing on mtv.com, and The Situation was talking about the crucial aspects of GTL. And all of a sudden, my computer went black and SHUT DOWN. Apparently, I had given it permission to do so, as it started up right away again. BUT! ALL POSTS WERE LOST. I hadn't saved them. Or I think that's what happened. It's hard to say. I spent a lot of time tapping my screen going, "HELLO ARE YOU IN THERE?" but nothing appeared except my screen saver so I'm assuming they are permanently lost, at least to me.

And that is why I haven't posted in a while. I'm mourning the loss of all of those typed words that are no more.

1 comment:

Rod said...

Well, I'm sure that your posts were of their usual high caliber, but if they are gone forever AT LEAST you can take solace that you were able to finish watching The Situation espouse the virtues of GTL. I mean, that sh!t is p-r-i-c-e-l-e-s-s!! Why don't we rent a house on the Jersey Shore this summer? And pray that we can see Snookie in her natural habitat.