Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I resolve NOT to...

Happy New Year everyone! I was trying to do a wrap up post about the rest of my holiday and then realized that it could be summed up in four words: I ate too much. So if you hear a "Rrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeaaaahhhh" sound coming from Mountain View, those are the seams of my pants straining in their valiant effort not to give way. Good times.

I was talking to a client this Monday about New Years and she asked if I had made any resolutions. Normally, I don't. I just sort of look at the year and think about what I would like to accomplish and then formulate a plan as to how to make that happen. And then I take a nap, because all of that thinking can really wear a girl out. For 2009, my primary goal was to Remain Upright. So, yay! I can check that one off of the list! But this year? For some reason, and this is the first time I can say this in a long time, I'm filled with an extraordinary amount of hope and, dare I say, joy. Gasp! I KNOW! It's weird. Everyone just CALM DOWN.

So that being said, I was talking to her about resolutions and said, "You know, I saw this article about making a list of things you resolve NOT to do, and I think I'm going to make one myself!" I've been thinking about it a lot over the past few days, and here is what I have come up with thus far...

My 2010 Not To Do List:
1) I will not check my iPhone when I am with someone else. First - RUDE. Second - Why? And third - it's not good for my relationships or my mental health.
2) I will stop telling myself why something won't work out or be a success and start telling myself why it WILL.
3) I will stop spending mindlessly. I want to stop wondering where all of the money in my (and in Marc's) pocket went. I want to focus on my own personal economy.
4) I will stop worrying about where I'll be in the next 5-10 years and think instead about what I want to do NOW. Because if I'm doing what I want to DO, then I'll be where I'm supposed to BE, right?
5) I will stop thinking about how hard life has been and instead focus on all that I have. Which is a lot. I will cultivate a spirit of contentedness.

I know. I've been smoking some weird stuff up in here, but all of you who are yelling, "GAH! SHE HAS GOTTEN ALL POSITIVE! UNSUBSCRIBE!" can just suck it.

In the meantime, rest assured that some of my original spirit is still intact since I'm HUGELY irritated by all of the people flooding the gym and my Zumba! classes. I can't wait until February when everyone succumbs to their old habits so that I don't have to watch where I'm flailing while I dance. I have bony elbows people. You've been warned.

4 comments:

Squiddo said...

4 & 5 are perhaps some of the wisest to grace your blog. Nicely thought out.

Candy said...

Hee hee! I LOVE your resolutions. Especially #4, which is one of my own. LIVE the moment! Wuv you sissy.....

Unknown said...

We call anything to do with the iPhone: iDouche. It just isn't cool at all anymore. Put it away.

MB said...

I love it.

How are the resolutions coming along babe?

I'm working on the iPhone - no use when I'm with someone.

Also, I'm okay with the "now!"